Wikimedia Chat (https://chat.wmcloud.org) is a text chat system that enables Wikimedians to have real-time, threaded conversations and without using commercial services running closed source software like Slack, Facebook or Microsoft Teams, that potentially track and use private (meta) data. You can read more about Wikimedia Chat in the blog post introducing it.
It is part of the Wikimedia Social Suite and is an installation of the Mattermost open source software system on Wikimedia CloudVPS; messages will stay there for 90 days due to WM Cloud policy, and membership is by invitation from an existing member for the initial beta testing stage.
== Matterbridge == Matterbridge is a software to transfer messages between Mattermost and other chat systems. Currently it is operated only between Wikidata Wikimedia Chat channel and #wikidata IRC channels. If you have a request between a Mattermost channel and another IRC channel, or Discord channel, or Telegram group, you can comment at phab:T262034.
Good practice in naming is to when joining to use the Wikimedia username/full_name so that your profile matches the account in Wikimedia spaces *(this might later be synced/connected).
Good use cases are:
- groups that need to coordinate across different time-zones and therefore benefit for
- events that invite diverse participants around a bigger theme or set of topics
- that might normally use IRC and/or Telegram (as it can bridge to both)
- that need to refine and branch out (unlike Telegram, something like Slack)
Bad use cases are:
- communication and file/URL exchanges that need to be preserved for more than 3 months
- communication that requires high level of privacy/encryption