Wikimedia CEE Online Meeting 2021/Programme/Submissions/Towards a more environmentally sustainable Wikimedia Movement
- Title of the submission
Towards a more environmentally sustainable Wikimedia Movement
- Type of submission (lightning talk, discussion, panel, workshop)
- Author(s) of the submission
- strategy implementation
- affiliate operations
- environmental sustainability
- Level of advancement (basic, medium, advanced)
- Abstract (up to 100 words)
The urgency of the climate crisis is reflected in the Movement Strategy recommendations, which call on the entire Wikimedia Movement to “align our practices to support the environmental sustainability of our planet”.
A group of Wikimedia afiliates have recently begun implementing this recommendation, commiting themselves to reducing their carbon footprint through a variety of measures, especially around travel, in the Wikimedia Affiliates Environmental Sustainability Covenant.
This session will explore this new initiative, especially how it takes into account the principle of climate justice, meaning that the more privileged must help carry the burden otherwise disproportionately borne by those less privileged and those living in regions prone to the harshest effects of climate change.
The session will close with a call on Central and Eastern European Wikimedia affiliates to co-sign the Covenant.
- How will this session be beneficial for the communities in the region of Central and Eastern Europe?
The session will help Central and Eastern European Wikimedia affiliates reduce their carbon footprint, thus doing their part in fighting the climate crisis, and aligning them with the Movement Strategy recommendation 'Towards a Sustainable Wikimedia Movement'.
- Do you plan to pre-record a video with a presentation?
- Special requirements
- Slides or further information
- Wikimedia Affiliates Environmental Sustainability Covenant
- The slides for a previous version of the presentation are available on Commons; the slides for this session will be in both English and Russian.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).