Wikimedia CEE Online Meeting 2021/Programme/Submissions/Librarians and Wikimedia - a long history
- Title of the submission
Librarians & Wikimedia - a long (hi)story
- Type of submission (lightning talk, discussion, panel, workshop)
- Author(s) of the submission
Wikimedians of Romania and Moldova
Community Engagement, Partnerships
- Level of advancement (basic, medium, advanced)
- Abstract (up to 100 words)
The discussion will start with the experience of #1lib1ref events organized in Romania since 2017, with the help of Goethe Institute Bucharest, events that changed in format and approach over time. The focus shifted from the number of edits to challenging the existing mindset on information organization and access. Librarians from the ex-Eastern Bloc practice a profession formed in a totalitarian regime and we need to better understand how their practices clash with the values of the Wikimedia community.
Guest from Romania, Republic of Moldova, Ukraine will join us. Everyone with experience in working with libraries is invited to attend.
- How will this session be beneficial for the communities in the region of Central and Eastern Europe?
Given their access to valuable sources and records, librarians can be great supporters and members of Wikimedia community. We can work better with them if we understand the history of their profession.
- Do you plan to pre-record a video with a presentation?
- Slides or further information
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).