1. Gregor Mendel is known as the Father of Genetics.
2. What do geneticists use to show all of the different ways alleles can combine? Punnett Squares
3. The structure of DNA resembles a twisted ladder with rungs made of nitrogen bases.
4. The correct matches base pairs of DNA: A = T; C = G; G = C; T = A; A = T;
5. Name three possible descriptions of the structure of DNA: Twisted Ladder, Double Helix, Twisted coiled spiral
6. In humans, how many chromosomes exist in a fertilized egg? 46
7. How many chromosomes does each HUMAN parent donate to the baby? 23
8. How many chromosomes should each human have? 46
9. How are traits passed from parent to offspring?
- 23 chromosomes are given to the offspring from the parents. The chromosomes are made of DNA. Genes are located on chromosomes. The offspring has a specific phenotype that codes from the phenotype of the offspring.
10. What happens to the DNA molecule in a person with Tay Sachs disease?
- One letter is changed.
11. Draw a Punnett Square that shows the cross between a wolf with black fur and a wolf with white fur. Black fur is a dominant trait. The wolf with black fur is homozygous.
12. Show the cross between a dimpled male and a dimpled female.
13. Is the trait having dimples a dominant or recessive trait? Dominant
14. How do you know?
- Because both parents have dimples and they both have the dominant gene so it shows.
15. What percent of the potential offspring would NOT have dimples?
16. What percent of the potential offspring WOULD have dimples?
17. Explain how you knew using the words heterozygous and homozygous.
- Because the heterozygous genotype shows the dominant trait. The homozygous dominant genotype shows the dominant trait and the homozygous recessive genotype shows the recessive trait.
18. Name 3 INHERITED traits of humans!
- 1. Dimples 2. Broad Nose 3. Free/Attached Earlobe
19. Name 3 LEARNED traits of humans!
- 1. Language 2. Religion 3. Behavior
23. In humans, having an immunity to poison ivy is a dominant trait (this means not breaking out in a rash if ivy touches the skin). Therefore, breaking out to poison ivy is a recessive trait. Create a Punnet Square based on this!