Wikimedia chapters/Reports/Wikimedia Bangladesh/2015
Report of activities: 2015
Gala evening to celebrate Bengali Wikipedia's 10th anniversary
Bengali Wikipedia completed 10 Years in March 2014. To celebrate this historic milestone a gala evening was held at Radisson Blu Water Garden Hotel, Dhaka on 26 February, 2015. The event was organised by Wikimedia Bangladesh and sponsored by Grameenphone. Jimmy Wales presented as a chief guest of the program. This event was attended by around 300 invited participants including Wikimedians and other respected guests from different universities as well as from the govt. New wikimedia contributors from seven divisions of Bangladesh were also awarded in this event. The event was circulated by local and national dailies/electronic media.
- 10th year anniversary of Bengali Wikipedia.jpg
- Audience - at BnWiki10 by Nasir Khan Saikat (3).JPG
- The first prize winner wikipedian receiving prize for edit contest.JPG
- Bangladeshi Wikimedians at Bengali Wikipedia 10th anniversary celebration gala event, Dhaka (07).JPG
- Munir Hasan presenting stole to Jimmy Wales as a Bengali gesture of honor 1.JPG
- Panel Discussion on Internet Knowledge.JPG
- Jimmy Wales with Munir Hasan, Nasir Khan Saikat, Zahid Hossain khan and other GP employees - at BnWiki10 by Nasir Khan Saikat.JPG
Bangla Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Conference 2015 (main conference)
The Bangla Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Conference 2015 was held on 30th May 2015 at Daffodil International University in Dhaka. About 300 Wikipedians from Bangladesh and West Bengal of India attended the conference. State Minister of ICT Division of the People's Republic of Bangladesh was present at the conference. Vice Chancellor of the university Dr. Lutfur Rahman and Wikimedia Bangladesh President Munir Hasan were also present during the inauguration. A number of workshops and interactive sessions took place at the day-long conference. The sessions were conducted by WMBD Executive Committee and Operations Committee members. Participants at the workshops were given hands-on training on creating and developing articles, adding photos and contents to Wikipedia. Wikipedians also shared their experiences and discussed on improving the Bangla Wikipedia. Ten best Wikipedians were awarded at the program for their outstanding contribution. Three best photographers were also awarded for their photographs submitted for the Bangla Wikipedia Photography Contest 2014, which was arranged as part of the 10th anniversary of Bangla Wikipedia. Eminent writer and journalist Anisul Hoque was present during the award giving ceremony. A session was held particularly to enhance female contributors to Wikipedia. Another session was held where Wikipedians from West Bengal, India and Bangladesh discussed to collaborative activities among the Wikipedians of their region.
- Bangla Wikipedia 10 year Founding Anniversary Conference 2015 (214).JPG
Group photograph during the conference
- Bangla Wikipedia 10 year Founding Anniversary Conference 2015 (30).JPG
Participants at the conference.
- Bangla Wikipedia 10 year Founding Anniversary Conference 2015 (46).JPG
WMBD organizing committee members with the guests at the inauguration of the conference
- Afifa Afrin Discussing - Women Involvement in Bengali Wikipedia - Bengali Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Celebration - Daffodil International University - Dhaka 2015-05-30 1629-1634.tif
Afifa Afrin Discussing - Women Involvement in Bengali Wikipedia
- Bangla Wikipedia 10 year Founding Anniversary Conference 2015 (110).JPG
Workshop during the conference
- Bangla Wikipedia 10 year Founding Anniversary Conference 2015 (160).JPG
Women participants on a workshop
- Collaboration Meeting, Bangladesh and Indian Wikimedians - Bengali Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Celebration - Daffodil International University - Dhaka 2015-05-30 1762.jpg
Collaboration Meeting- Bangladeshi and Indian Wikimedians
- Bangla Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Conference 2015 photos on Commons
- Media coverage
- Blog post on Wikimedia blog
Divisonal workshop at Carmichael College, Rangpur
As a part of Bengali Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Celebration Bangladesh program, Wikimedia Bangladesh with the help of Grameenphone arranged the 6th divisional outreach program at Carmichael College, Rangpur division on January 5, 2015. Along with local wikimedian from Rangpur, Community outreach director of WMBD Nahid Sultan, active offline Wikipedian Golam Mortuza Rahman and Shahriar Mishu were presented from Dhaka. Altogether, over 55 participants attended on the workshop. The event was opened with a opening speech by Head Mistress of Carmichael College. The event is circulated by local and national dailies (all divisional workshop reports).
A wikimedian meetup was arranged by members of WMBD of Chittagong community at Nippon Accademy, Chittagong on Saturday, February 07, 2015. 15 participants attended on the meetup.
Wiki gathering at Ekushey Book Fair
On 21st February, the international mother language day, Wikimedia Bangladesh (WMBD) and Bangladesh open source network arranged a wiki gathering in front of Bangla Academy gate at Ekushey Book Fair 2015. Over 50 participants attended on the gathering.
Meet the press-Jimmy in Bangladesh
On February 24, 2015 a press conference is organized by Wikimedia Bangladesh to let the press to know about Jimmy's arrival in Bangladesh and about 10 year celebration of Bangla Wikipedia in details at BASIS (Bangladesh association of software and Information Services). Mr.Munir Hasan president of Wikipedia Bangladesh tell about this program in details at this press conference. WMBD members and officials from Grameenphone also presented at the conference.
Wiki gathering at Pohela Boishakh (Bengali New Year)
Wikipedia workshop and inauguration of Rajshahi University Wiki Club
On 19th June, a Bangla Wikipedia Workshop was held in Rajshahi. The first university based Wikipedia club, Rajshahi University Wiki Club was also inaugurated the the program. Eminent writer and literati Hasan Azizul Haque spoke at the program. At the workshop, attendants were showed how to enrich the Bangla Wikipedia and other Bangla Wikimedia projects.
Iftar party by Rajshahi University Wiki-club
Wikipedia School Programs
- Main article: [[School Programs Report]]
Currently we're conducting 10 school programs in different schools in Bangladesh. School program is specially designed more to encourage students to effectively use Wikipedia for their benefit than to contribute to it. It is the first time in the country that a Wikipedia-related events are taking place in schools.
Wikipedia Workshop at Rangpur
A Wikipedia Workshop was held on December 2, 2015 at Begum Rokeya University, in Rangpur, as part of the program of Wikipedia 15 in Bangladesh. The workshop was attended by over 50 students. Professor Kazi Muzharul Islam from Department of Physics, attended the workshop as the chief guest. The workshop was conducted by Nahid Sultan and Tanweer Mosrhed, on behalf of Wikimedia Bangladesh.
- Wikipedia Photowalk at Old Dhaka. Held on April 4, 2015.
- Wikipedia Photowalk in Chittagong city. Held on April 11, 2015.
- Wikipedia Photowalk on Pohela Boishakh. Held on April 14, 2015.
- Wikipedia Photowalk in Rajshahi. Held on April 22, 2015.
- Wikipedia Photowalk at National Botanic Garden. Held on April 24, 2014.
- Wikipedia Photowalk in Rangpur. Held on April 28, 2015.
- Wikipedia Photowalk in Sylhet Held on May 9, 2015.
- Wikipedia Photowalk at University of Chittagong. Held on May 23 and 25, 2015.