Small wiki toolkits/ur
Welcome! This is an initiative to support small wiki communities. Here you can learn and share technical skills to support, maintain, and grow your community.
This is work in progress. See how you can help.
Toolkits consist of a set of recommended tools and teaching and learning resources on specific technical skills needed for developing, growing, and maintaining small wikis. You can use these toolkits to learn a variety of technical skills or use them in workshops to teach more people.
Ask your technical questions
Is something unclear? Please ask! However, unfortunately we cannot offer (yet) the "one place" where you will definitely receive an answer to your question. Good places to ask are usually the Support desk on mediawiki.org, some mailing lists and IRC chat channels, the Tech page on meta-wiki, or the talk pages of the links above after you have checked that the talk page has actually been active lately.
Help us with this initiative
Do you have an idea for building technical capacity in your wiki community? Are you interested in workshops, virtual events, toolkits, video tutorials, or interested in exchanging problems and challenges in smaller wiki communities? Join us: add a comment on the discussion page!
We organize and track what to work on in the Small-Wiki-Toolkits Phabricator project. We sometimes have video meetings, and we might have other discussion places in the future once the group becomes bigger.
We want to provide a limited number of links to high-quality, task-oriented ("How can I…?") material. This often requires improving existing documentation first, to be consistent, up-to-date, and in simple English. We collect and discuss existing, non-optimal documentation pages for a specific area in a corresponding Phabricator task instead of listing ten "See Also" links for one topic on this very page. Ideally, we would also love to have short, well-done video tutorials on some topics, with subtitles that could be translated.
If you want to develop and document a toolkit yourself, here are some recommendations:
- Think task and user oriented. The question to answer is "How can I solve this problem?", not "Can you tell me more about this technology area?".
- Use the toolkit presentation template slides if you don't already have one. The template is also available in ODP file format.
- Include notes for trainers on the slides where applicable so that both potential trainers or learners can benefit from it. See for reference user scripts and gadgets toolkit source and its PDF version with detailed notes.
- Upload your toolkit with detailed notes on Wikimedia Commons & add the Small wiki toolkits category. In the File Description, add a link to the PDF source if you are willing to let a potential trainer make a copy and modifications to the source. See for reference, the description section of these slides on Wikimedia Commons.
Ongoing workshops and initiatives
Interesting in kicking off a workshop series or initiative? Take a look at the workshop guide sharing roles and responsibilities of organizers and mentors of small wiki toolkits technical capacity-building workshops and contact us on the talk page.
- Celtic Knot Conference 2020, (July 9-10, Online Event)
- Starter kit for smaller wikis feedback session (Summary and Notes)
- SWT Indic Workshop Series 2020 (June 2020)
- Four technical workshops were conducted (Summary and Notes)
- Wikimedia Hackathon 2020 (May 2020)
- Session: Tools for smaller wikis, your favorite cup of tea, and the weather! (Summary and Notes)
- WikiConference North America 2019 (November 8-11, Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- WikiArabia 2019 (October 4-6, Marrakesh, Morocco)
- Wikimania 2019 (August 14-18, Stockholm, Sweden)
Members are free to self-identify as Small wiki toolkits group members. You may do so by editing the members list below and adding the following userbox to your user page by typing
. Also, add this page to your watchlist to receive notifications about changes made to its content or discussion page.
- Jay Prakash
- Luca Mauri
- Satdeep Gill
- Bhuvana Meenakshi
- Ramu ummadishetty
- Rajeeb 25px(talk!)
- Suyash Dwivedi
- Nirajan Pant
- RexxS (talk)
- Michaelgraaf (talk)
- Jon Harald Søby
- Path slopu
- ZI Jony
- Akbar Ali
- Durga Soren (talk)
- Quiddity (talk)
- Venuslui (talk)
- ჯეო (talk
- Susanna Ånäs
- KCVelaga (talk) 06:04, 3 February 2021 (UTC)
- SHISHIR DUA