:Bush announces 2007 Medal of Freedom winners
30 October 2007
The Medal of Freedom may be awarded by the president to any person who has made an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, or to world peace, cultural or other significant endeavors.
The medals will be awarded on November 5, 2007.
The winners are:
- Gary Becker, 1992 Nobel economics prize winner
- Oscar Elias Biscet, an anti-abortion and pro-democracy activist and political prisoner in Cuba
- Francis Collins, Human Genome Project leader
- Benjamin Hooks, US civil rights leader
- Retired Rep. Henry Hyde of Illinois and former chairman of the House Foreign Affairs committee
- Harper Lee, author of the book To Kill a Mockingbird
- Brian Lamb, founder of the C-SPAN cable public affairs network
- Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, president of Liberia and the first woman elected to head an African country
This page was moved from wikinews:en:Bush announces 2007 Medal of Freedom winners. Its edit history can be viewed at Bush announces 2007 Medal of Freedom winners/edithistory