A. Gabriel Esteban
A. Gabriel Esteban, Ph.D., became the 12th president of DePaul University in Chicago, Illinois, on July 1, 2017. He is DePaul’s first lay president. Esteban has served higher education throughout his career at universities in New Jersey, Arkansas, Texas and the Philippines.
Under his leadership, the university developed a new strategic plan, "Grounded in Mission: The Plan for DePaul 2024." Its goals are:
- Deepening a commitment to the Catholic, Vincentian, and urban mission
- Ensuring a welcoming and inclusive campus environment
- Preparing all students for global citizenship and success
- Expanding access to a portfolio of high-quality, affordable academic programs
- Elevating academic excellence and embracing a culture of creativity and discovery
- Employing bold approaches to ensure fiscal strength for future generations
Immediately prior to his appointment at DePaul, Esteban was president of Seton Hall University from 2011 to 2017. He ascended to Seton Hall’s presidency from the post of provost and chief academic officer. His accomplishments included implementing a successful strategic plan and campus master plan. Under his leadership, academic selectivity and student diversity increased as undergraduate enrollment expanded by 15 percent. He also led effective changes in enrollment management and financial aid strategies. During his tenure, the university collaborated with Hackensack Meridian Health to create the only private medical school in New Jersey.
Esteban received a bachelor of science in mathematics and MBA at the University of the Philippines, Diliman. He also earned a master of science in Japanese business studies, Chaminade University of Honolulu, and his Ph.D. in business administration at the University of California Irvine. He completed the Japan-America Institute for Management Science program in Honolulu, Hawaii, and MLE Program: Leading Transformation & Change at Harvard University.
Memberships and Professional Service
He has provided extensive service to higher education. Currently, he is on the board of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities. He served as a commissioner for the Commission on Inclusion of the American Council on Education. Esteban also served as team chair on regional accreditation for the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and Higher Learning Commission (HCC), is a past member of the Accreditation Review Council, and a consultant for the HCC.
He is an advocate for students of color. He is an emeritus board member of Asian Pacific Americans in Higher Education, and is a founding board member and former vice chair of the Asian Pacific Islander American Association of Colleges and Universities.
Esteban is active in the governing of collegiate athletics, serving as a founding board member of the Big East Conference and a member of its finance committee from 2010 to the present. He also was a member of the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) Commission on Institutional Performance from 2014 to 2016.
Serving his discipline (marketing) in both teaching and research, Esteban is an editorial board member of the Philippine Management Review, published by the College of Business Administration at the University of the Philippines. He also is a recipient of the University of Houston Enron Teaching Excellence Award.
Honors and Awards
- Top 50 Graduate and Postgraduate Alumni, Graduate Division, University of California Irvine, 2016
- Leadership Award by Leadership Education for Asian Pacifics, Inc., Los Angeles 2016
- Great Immigrant by Carnegie Corporation of New York, 2015
- Named to NJBIZ Power 100 and Health Care Power 50 by NJ Biz, New Jersey, 2015, 2016
- Excellence in Education Award, Chicago Filipino-American Hall of Fame Awards, 2015
- Empowerment Award for Excellence in Education, Fiesta in America, New Jersey, 2015
- Appointed Knight of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulcher, Eastern Province of New York, 2014
- Certificate of Achievement, Embassy of the Philippines, 2013
- Most Distinguished Alumnus, University of the Philippines Alumni Association of New Jersey, 2012
- Rhodes, Dawn. "DePaul University president aims to mix business with religion to bring progress" (in en-US). chicagotribune.com. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-depaul-president-profile-20171113-story.html.
- "A layperson to lead DePaul University" (in en). https://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20180308/ISSUE01/180309892/gabriel-esteban-first-layperson-to-lead-depaul.
- "Biography of A. Gabriel Esteban DePaul University President | DePaul University, Chicago" (in en). https://offices.depaul.edu/president/about/Pages/biography.aspx.
- "Strategic Plan 2024 Grounded in Mission The Plan for DePaul | DePaul University, Chicago" (in en). https://offices.depaul.edu/president/strategic-directions/grounded-in-mission/Pages/default.aspx.
- "Strategic Directions | Sections | DePaul University Newsline | DePaul University, Chicago" (in en). https://resources.depaul.edu/newsline/sections/strategic-directions/Pages/Grounded-in-Mission-launches-with-proposals.aspx.