100 Women in Hedge Funds
100 Women in Finance, formerly 100 Women in Hedge Funds (100WHF), is a global industry association for professionals who work in the alternative investment and broader finance industry. Actual membership comprises more than 15,000 professionals in 21 locations across 3 continents.
100WHF was formed in 2001. Its three pillars are Industry Education, Philanthropy and Peer Engagement. The organization has hosted more than 600 education events globally. Its philanthropic mission focuses on three areas: mentoring, women’s and family health, and education. The organization has raised over $40 million gross for various charities.
The organization has been a vanguard in working for a world in which women get an equal opportunity in the highly competitive world of Hedge Funds. The organization frequently holds events for its members to gain insight from other accomplished participants in the field, such as the June 2012 event in New York City, “Up Close and Personal with Eileen Murray,” featuring the CEO of Bridgewater Associates.
In 2010, Prince William of Wales became the Patron of 100 Women in Hedge Funds. In late 2012, it was announced that the Duke and [Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge|Duchess of Cambridge] and Prince Harry would all be Patrons of 100WHF's Philanthropic Initiatives beginning in January 2013.
In December 2012, Ivanka Trump, Executive Vice President for Development and Acquisitions for The Trump Organization, was announced as one of four new board directors, highlighting what Mimi Drake, president of Permit Capital Advisors and global chair of the 100WHF Association Board, referred to as the organization's "deepening of [its] senior practitioner base to include family office leadership, private equity investors, real estate investing and women on corporate boards."
The founders of the organization include Carol Kim, Dana Hall and Sarah Dyer. Amanda Pullinger is the organization's Chief Executive Officer.
Annual Gala Dinner
Every year, 100 Women in Hedge Funds holds Gala fundraising events in New York, London, Hong Kong, Cayman and Geneva at which they honor a woman who has played a leading role in the Alternatives or broader Financial industry, as well as someone who has made a difference in the world of philanthropy.
Past industry leadership awards have gone to: Geraldine Sundstrom (London, 2010), Dorothy Weaver(New York, 2010), and Sonia Gardner (London, 2008). Past effecting change awards have gone to: T. Boone Pickens (2010), Joel Klein (2009), Ken Langone (2008), Julian Robertson (2007) and Carl Icahn (2006).
New York Gala
For the 2012 New York Gala, 100 Women in Hedge Funds raised $1.4 million for DonorsChoose. Stephen Colbert attended as a special guest. The organization also launched an initiative to raise money to support schools affected by Hurricane Sandy in New York and New Jersey.
On October 16, 2011, Prince William attended the London Gala at St. James's Palace to raise money for that year's selected beneficiary, The Child Bereavement Charity.
At the Geneva Gala in 2010, the organization presented Geraldine Sundstrom, a partner and portfolio manager at Brevan Howard Asset Management, with the 100 Women in Hedge Funds 2010 European Leadership Award.
100 Women in Hedge Funds Institute
The "100 Women in Hedge Funds/CAIA Scholars" program is offered annually to up to 10 individuals who have an interest in pursuing a career in alternative investment management, with a specific focus on portfolio management. This scholarship initiative, offered by the 100 Women in Hedge Funds Institute through the sponsorship of Pacific Alternative Asset Management Company, LLC (PAAMCO), was established to attract and reward rising female talent in the alternative investment field.
In June 2012, The Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) Foundation announced receipt of the CAIA Charter by the first two members of the inaugural class of the 100 Women in Hedge Funds/CAIA Scholars program.
- Ricardo Kaulessar (November 16, 2012). "100 WHF Holds Annual Gala, Colbert Makes Appearance". evestment. http://news.hedgefund.net/default.aspx?story=14354.[dead link]
- Binkley, Christina (April 2, 2009). "Cracking the Hedge-Fund Dress Code for Women". The Wall Street Journal. https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123863590242781251.
- "100 WOMEN IN HEDGE FUNDS "UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL WITH EILEEN MURRAY."". Latham & Watkins LLP. http://www.lw.com/events/100WomeninHedgeFunds.
- "Prince William to become Patron of 100 Women in Hedge Funds". The Prince of Wales. October 22, 2009. http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/mediacentre/pressreleases/prince_william_to_become_patron_of_100_women_in_hedge_funds__1457625743.html.
- "Say What? Ivanka Trump Joins 100 Women in Hedge Funds Board". HedgeFund Intelligence. December 7, 2012. http://www.hedgefundintelligence.com/Article/3128519/Say-what-Ivanka-Trump-joins-100-Women-in-Hedge-Funds-board.html.
- "Geraldine Sundstrom of Brevan Howard to receive industry award". Hedgeweek. June 28, 2010. http://www.hedgeweek.com/2010/06/28/52329/geraldine-sundstrom-brevan-howard-receive-leadership-award.
- "Dorothy C. Weaver". Forbes Online. https://people.forbes.com/profile/dorothy-c-weaver/148740.
- Margarita Shelley-Smith. "100 Women in Hedge Funds Honors Sonia Gardner of Avenue Capital Group". the Glass Hammer. http://www.theglasshammer.com/news/2008/07/15/100-women-in-hedge-funds-honors-sonia-gardner-of-avenue-capital-group/.
- "Suits, You Sir! Stephen Colbert at the 100 Women in Hedge Funds New York Gala 2012". Colbert News Hub. November 16, 2012. http://www.colbertnewshub.com/2012/11/16/suits-sir-stephen-colbert-100-women-hedge-funds-york-gala-2012/.
- "100 Women in Hedge Funds New York Gala raises close to $2m for the William J. Clinton Foundation's U.S. Childhood Obesity Prevention program, Alliance for a Healthier Generation". November 17, 2011. http://www.100womeninhedgefunds.org/pages/news_item.php?n=98&p=1&sw=&si=0.
- David Harrison & Claire Duffin (23 October 2011). "The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the £1.3 trillion hedge fund women". The Daily Telegraph (London). https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8843320/The-Duke-and-Duchess-of-Cambridge-and-the-1.3-trillion-hedge-fund-women.html.
- "Bejewelled women upbeat in Geneva". eFinancial News. September 23, 2010. http://www.efinancialnews.com/story/2010-09-23/100-women-in-hedge-funds-geneva-dinner.
- "First Two "100 Women in Hedge Funds/CAIA Scholars" Earn CAIA Charter". PR Newswire. June 12, 2012. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/first-two-100-women-in-hedge-fundscaia-scholars-earn-caia-charter-158556045.html.