RBDS Rubbish Boys Disposal Service Inc. (doing business as 1-800-GOT-JUNK?) is a Canadian franchised residential and commercial junk removal company operating in the United States, Canada, and Australia. The company's business model consists of taking junk or trash haulage, and giving it a "clean" image through branding and marketing.
The company started in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada in 1989 by Brian Scudamore. He had the idea while he was in a McDonalds drive thru and saw a beat up old truck offering junk removal services in front of him, and he thought to himself, "I can do better than that". It was incorporated as The Rubbish Boys Disposal Service, then in 1998 with its current name. The first permanent franchise opened in 1997 in Victoria, British Columbia, and a second in Toronto in 1998. In 2000, the first franchise opened outside Canada, in Portland, Oregon.
1-800-GOT-JUNK? performs bi-annual audits of their environmental practices. The company claims to keep 63.5% of collected items out of the landfill by recycling and by donating to community and charity organizations. Franchisees have access to a report to track their landfill diversion.
1-800-GOT-JUNK? evaluates its level of customer service using the Net Promoter Score system. 1-800-GOT-JUNK? released a consumer-based mobile booking site in 2012 and a mobile app in 2013 for franchisees and their employees to manage operations.
In the media
Entrepreneur magazine named the company 425th of 500 franchises in 2013. Achievers, a company that offers social recognition and employee engagement solutionsScript error: No such module "Unsubst". to its clients, rated the subject of this article Canada's "most engaged workplace" in 2013 and recognised it in 2012.
- Blaskovich, Sarah. "Success stories - Brian Scudamore". Success. http://www.success.com/article/success-stories-brian-scudamore.
- "How I did it: Brian Scudamore". Business in Vancouver. http://www.biv.com/article/20120605/BIV0201/305229917/-1/BIV/how-i-did-it-brian-scudamore.
- "1-800-GOT-JUNK Franchise Review - 1-800-GOT-JUNK Franchises For Sale". Businessmart.com. http://www.businessmart.com/franchise/1-800-got-junk/.
- Villano, Matt (May 1, 2006). "A Cache of Cash Cleaning Up Other People's Trash". New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/01/business/smallbusiness/01junk.html?pagewanted=print.
- "The Frequent Flyer: Erik Church". Go Far. http://gofar.aircanada.com/feature/the-frequent-flyer-erik-church/.
- "Our honored small businesses - Where are they now?". Winning Workplaces. http://www.winningworkplaces.org/library/features/smbiz_honorees_where_are_they_now.php.
- "1-800-GOT-JUNK? - Another Year of Successful Earth Day Events!". 1-800-Got-Junk. http://www.1800gotjunk.com/us_en/EarthDay.
- "Junk Salvaging Gets Environmental Audit". Greenandsave.com. http://www.greenandsave.com/green_news/green-business/junk-salvaging-gets-environmental-audit-5765.
- D'Antonio, Mila. "1-800-GOT-JUNK? drives its customer experience forward". 1to1 Media. http://www.1to1media.com/View.aspx?docid=33371.
- Levy Sarfin, Rachel. "1-800-GOT-JUNK? rolls out mobile app for franchise partners". IT in Canada. http://collaboration.itincanadaonline.ca/index.php?cid=327&id=19420.
- "1-800-GOT-JUNK now has an app". Computer Dealer News. http://www.computerdealernews.com/news/1-800-got-junk-now-has-an-app/23773.
- "2013 Franchise 500 Rankings". Entrepreneur Magazine. http://www.entrepreneur.com/franchises/rankings/franchise500-115608/2013,-9.html.
- "The 50 most engaged workplaces in Canada". The Globe and Mail (Toronto). 28 September 2012. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-managing/human-resources/the-50-most-engaged-workplaces-in-canada/article4559519/.
- "Undercover Analysis | Episode #4: Got-Junk Boss Brian Scudamore". Financial Post. http://business.financialpost.com/2012/02/24/undercover-analysis-episode-4-got-junk-boss-brian-scudamore/.